Ultra Marathon 2013 on May 25
Last year 12 people ran over 55 km on the Discovery Trail in Abbotsford with world-record holder and ultra runner Ray Zahab. That small team raised over $20,000 for clean water projects in Ethiopia.
Ultra Route 2013
We are doing it again this year...
- The Run for Water Ultra will be held on Saturday, May 25 beginning at 7am. It will be hosted and lead by Canadian adventurer and ultra runner Ray Zahab. Ray has run 1200K across the Atacama Desert, traversed Death Valley off-road, particiated in a team that broke the world record to the South Pole, and most notably, ran across the entire Sahara Desert - a feat that was documented in the film "Running the Sahara" narrated by Matt Damon. Ray is not only passionate about running, he is passionate about the causes he believes in.
- The Run for Water Ultra is a team-based run that is capped at a maximum of 20 participants. Runners will be encouraged to run with the team and complete the journey together. The pace will be enjoyable and inclusive.
- There is no entry fee. But, this is a chance to make a HUGE difference! If you know Run for Water you know that we are all about raising awareness and funds for the more than 1 billion people who do not have access to clean water, who live in sickness and frequently die for lack of one of life's most basic needs. In order to enter the ultra, each runner must raise a minimum of $1,500. Yup, that is a lot! But admit it, everyone has 15 friends or family members who will part with $100 in support of a cause like this (or to see you run a ridiculous distance in one day). In order to participate, a minimum of $1,500 in the name of HOPE International Development Agency will have to be submitted on or before May 15. Visit our fundraising page for further information.
- The run will be almost entirely trail-based. Runners will be accompanied by a bicycle police escort for areas where the trail crosses various roads. Medical and nutritional support will never be more than a phone call away and will be set out at designated points along the route.
- Ray Zahab is looking forward to supporting the team members as they train via skype or conference calls.
- For all information and to register contact Randall Peters at ">